Required Application Materials
- Geriatric Psychiatry Fellowship application
- Personal statement
- Three letters of recommendation (at least one from a residency training director or chair)
- Medical school transcript
- USMLE (Step 1, Step 2, and Step 3) score transcript (all attempts, all scores)
- Sample patient encounter note (for purposes of legal compliance, private patient details should be de-identified)
- Additional documents may be requested by the Graduate Medical Education office.
Please note that J1 visas are sponsored.
The geriatric fellowship selection committee will interview applicants from summer through fall. Interviews may be set up at other times throughout the year to accommodate special circumstances.
Selective Service System Registration
All male applicants (as determined by gender assigned at birth for purposes of this requirement) who are U.S. citizens or immigrants must have registered with the Selective Service System within 30 days of their 18th birthday, or arrival date into the U.S. Individuals are eligible to register until the age of 26.
Failure to register is a violation of federal law, and can face significant penalties, including loss of eligibility for citizenship for immigrants. Individuals who have not registered are not eligible for a variety of benefits including federal student aid, federal job training, and any job in the Executive Branch of the government (e.g. VA, Medicare, federal prisons), and are not allowed to work in federal facilities even as a resident or fellow.
Most Duke GME programs require rotations at federal facilities such as VA hospitals or prisons. All trainees in those programs must be eligible to work at those facilities. All applicants should ensure that they have registered for the Selective Service System if appropriate. If they have not registered, they should discuss this with their potential program director. Learn more
Additional Information for Applicants
Learn about stipends, employment requirements and more on Duke’s Graduate Medical Education website.