About our Fellow
Amy Abramowitz, MD
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
Northwestern Medical School
University of Illinois, Chicago
Interests and Career Goals
Geriatric mood disorders, neurocognitive disorders, palliative care, health services research, quality improvement, women's mental health, digital mental health, global mental health, teaching, administrative psychiatry
Running, travel, restaurants, reading, college basketball, keeping up with my three kids!
Strengths of the Program
Duke offers incredible clinical and research opportunities. The faculty are supportive and accomplished.
- Amy Abramowitz, Emily Miller, Katherine Wisner, Treatment options for hyperemesis gravidarum, Archives of Women’s Mental Health, Volume 20, Issue 3, June 2017, Pages 363-372.
- Abramowitz, Amy. Hyperemesis Gravidarum Treatment with Mirtazapine. Feinberg Asher Center for Depressive Disorders MAP research group meeting; 2015 October; Chicago, IL.
- Amy C. Abramowitz, Emily J. Ginger, Jackie K. Gollan, Matthew J. Smith, Empathy, depressive symptoms, and social functioning among individuals with schizophrenia, Psychiatry Research, Volume 216, Issue 3, 30 May 2014, Pages 325-332.
- E.T. Cox, C.W. Hodge, M.J. Sheikh, A.C. Abramowitz, G.F. Jones, A.W. Jamieson-Drake, P.R. Makam, P.S. Zeskind, J.M. Johns, Delayed developmental changes in neonatal vocalizations correlates with variations in ventral medial hypothalamus and central amygdala development in the rodent infant: Effects of prenatal cocaine, Behavioural Brain Research, Volume 235, Issue 2, 1 December 2012, Pages 166-175.
- Abramowitz, A., Kumar, A., Ajilore, O. The Impact of White Matter Hyperintensities on Structural Connectomics in Late-Life Depression. ACNP 58th Annual Meeting: Poster Session III. Neuropsychopharmacology. 44, 385–538 (2019)
- Abramowitz, A., Wagner-Schuman, M. A Pilot Intervention for a Structured Handoff Protocol for Inpatient Psychiatry. Association for Academic Psychiatry; 2019 September 7; Boston, MA.
- Abramowitz A., Nguyen, M., Fyda, J., Stojanac, D., Wagner- Schuman, M. Avoidant/Restrictive Food Intake Disorder in a Patient with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder: A Case Report. Association of Medicine and Psychiatry; 2018 October 13; Chicago, IL.
- Amy Abramowitz, Julia Rachel Trosman, Christine B. Weldon, Julian C. Schink, Melissa A Simon, How are young women 18-24 counseled on hereditary breast and ovarian cancer (HBOC) testing?, Journal of Clinical Oncology 32:5s, 2014 (supplement; abstract 1546).
Wonder where our fellows go when they graduate?
The Geriatric Psychiatry Fellowship offers an exceptionally strong clinical foundation that prepares psychiatrists for a range of careers. Here’s a snapshot of their initial destinations after the fellowship (based on data from 2010 to 2020):