Ahmad Adi, MD, MPH
Medical School: Alfaisal University College of Medicine
Graduate School: Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
Interests and Career Goals: I am interested in global mental health and cultural psychiatry as well as mental health services in refugee and displaced populations. Currently interested in forensic psychiatry, particularly in relation to refugee and asylum populations.
Favorite Pastime: I generally enjoy any relaxing activity - whether it be spending time with friends or family, spending time with a nice book, or spending time in the park!
Strengths of the Program: Diversity - Duke has a wonderful group of residents and faculty from so many places with so many different interests. Throughout my time at Duke, I have learned so much about different cultures and practices that I would not have learned otherwise. I enjoy the company of my fellow residents, and it feels like another family at times. Duke also has a strong ECT program, which is a huge advantage for residents training here.
Research, Presentations and Publications:
- Regulation of Blood Pressure, Appetite, and Glucose by Leptin After Inactivation of Insulin Receptor Substrate 2 Signaling in the Entire Brain or in Proopiomelanocortin Neurons. do Carmo JM, da Silva AA, Wang Z, Freeman NJ, Alsheik AJ, Adi A, Hall JE. Hypertension. 2015 Nov 30. pii: HYPERTENSIONAHA.115.06153.
- Telepsychiatry for post-traumatic stress disorder: a call for action in the Syrian conflict. Nassan M, Frye MA, Adi A and Alarcón RD. Lancet Psychiatry. 2015 Oct;2(10):866. doi: 10.1016/S2215-0366(15)00380-6. Epub 2015 Sep 29.
- Belief into Action Scale: A Comprehensive and Sensitive Measure of Religious Involvement. Harold G. Koenig, Zhizhong Wang , Faten Al Zaben and Ahmad Adi. Religions 2015, 6, 1006–1016; doi:10.3390/rel6031006
- Psychosocial interventions for disruptive behavioural problems in children living in low- and middle-income countries: study protocol of a systematic review. Burkey MD, Hosein M, Purgato M, Adi A, Morton I, Kohrt BA, Tol WA. BMJ Open. 2015 May 20;5(5):e007377. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2014-007377.
- Homozygosity analysis in subjects with autistic spectrum disorder. Adi A, Tawil B, Aldosari M, Shinwari J, Nester M, Aldhalaan H, Alshamrani H, Ghannam M, Meyer B, Al Tassan N. Mol Med Rep. 2015 Apr 22. doi: 10.3892/mmr.2015.3663.
- Screening for Mutations in ABCC8 and KCNJ11 Genes in Saudi Persistent Hyperinsulinemic Hypoglycemia of Infancy (PHHI) Patients Adi A, Abbas BB, Hamed MA, Tassan NA, Bakheet D. Genes (Basel). 2015 Apr 13;6(2):206-15. doi: 10.3390/genes6020206
- Role of Proopiomelanocortin Neuron Stat3 in Regulating Arterial Pressure and Mediating the Chronic Effects of Leptin John H. Dubinion, Jussara M. do Carmo, Ahmad Adi, Shereen Hamza, Alexandre A. da Silva, and John E. Hall. Hypertension. 2013 61:1066-1074
- Chronic central ghrelin infusion reduces blood pressure and heart rate despite increasing appetite and promoting weight gain in normotensive and hypertensive rats
- John N. Freeman, Jussara M. do Carmo, Ahmad H. Adi and Alexandre A. da Silva. Peptides. 2013;42:35-42
- Melanocortin 4 receptors in the paraventricular nucleus of the hypothalamus do not mediate chronic metabolic or cardiovascular effects of leptin after established obesity in mice Shereen M. Hamza, John H. Dubinion, Ahmad Adi, John E. Hall. FASEB J March 29, 2012 26:876.13 (Published Abstract)
- Dermatomyositis paraneoplastic syndrome prior to symptomatic tonsillar squamous cell carcinoma: A case report. Adi AH, Alturkmani H, Spock T, Yohannes PW, Wargo S, Szabo E, Gutkind JS, Van Waes C. Head Neck. 2014 Apr 9. doi: 10.1002/hed.23703