Associate Professor in Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Assistant Professor of Biomedical Engineering
Department / Division:
/ Brain Stimulation and Neurophysiology
Dept. Psychiatry & Behavioral
Box 3620 DUMC
Durham, NC 27710
- PhD, University of California at Berkeley, 2005
I direct the Brain Stimulation Engineering Lab (BSEL) which focuses on the development and modeling of devices and application paradigms for transcranial brain stimulation. Transcranial brain stimulation involves non-invasive delivery of fields (e.g., electric and magnetic) to the brain that modulate neural activity. Transcranial brain stimulation is increasingly used as a tool for brain research and a therapeutic intervention in neurology and psychiatry. My lab works closely with neuroscientists and clinicians to translate novel brain stimulation technology and optimize existing techniques. For example, we have developed a device for transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) that allows extensive control over the magnetic pulse parameters. We are currently deploying this device to optimize the magnetic stimulus in neuromodulatory TMS paradigms. We are also developing efficient algorithms for response estimation and individualization of brain stimulation. Another line of work is finite element computational modeling of the fields induced in the brain by electric and magnetic stimulation. My lab is involved in the integration of transcranial brain stimulation with imaging modalities such as functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) and electroencephalography (EEG), as well as the evaluation of the safety of device–device interactions, for example between transcranial stimulators and implants like deep-brain stimulation (DBS) systems.
In parallel, I pursue projects related to power electronics, with applications in electrical energy conversion and storage. Recent projects include modular multilevel converters for solar energy conversion and storage, grid storage applications, as well as electric vehicles.
- Mueller, JK; Grigsby, EM; Prevosto, V; Petraglia, FW; Rao, H; Deng, ZD; Peterchev, AV; Sommer, MA; Egner, T; Platt, ML; Grill, WM. Simultaneous transcranial magnetic stimulation and single-neuron recording in alert non-human primates. Nature Neuroscience. 2014;17:1130-1136. Abstract
- Peterchev, AV; D¿Ostilio, K; Rothwell, JC; Murphy, DL. Controllable pulse parameter transcranial magnetic stimulator with enhanced circuit topology and pulse shaping. Journal of Neural Engineering. 2014;11:056023. Abstract
- Deng, ZD; Lisanby, SH; Peterchev, AV. Electric field depth-focality tradeoff in transcranial magnetic stimulation: Simulation comparison of 50 coil designs. Brain Stimulation. 2013;6:1-13.
- Goetz, SM; Truong, CN; Gerhofer, MG; Peterchev, AV; Herzog, HG; Weyh, T. Analysis and optimization of pulse dynamics for magnetic stimulation. PloS one. 2013;8:e55771. Abstract
- Peterchev, AV; Goetz, SM; Westin, GG; Luber, B; Lisanby, SH. Pulse width dependence of motor threshold and input-output curve characterized with controllable pulse parameter transcranial magnetic stimulation. Clinical Neurophysiology. 2013;124:1364-1372. Abstract
- Lee, WH; Deng, ZD; Kim, TS; Laine, AF; Lisanby, SH; Peterchev, AV. Regional electric field induced by electroconvulsive therapy in a realistic finite element head model: influence of white matter anisotropic conductivity. NeuroImage. 2012;59:2110-2123. Abstract
- Peterchev, AV; Wagner, TA; Miranda, PC; Nitsche, MA; Paulus, W; Lisanby, SH; Pascual-Leone, A; Bikson, M. Fundamentals of transcranial electric and magnetic stimulation dose: definition, selection, and reporting practices. Brain Stimulation. 2012;5:435-453. Abstract
- Deng, ZD; Lisanby, SH; Peterchev, AV. Electric field strength and focality in electroconvulsive therapy and magnetic seizure therapy: a finite element simulation study. Journal of Neural Engineering. 2011;8:016007. Abstract
- Peterchev, AV; Murphy, DL; Lisanby, SH. Repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulator with controllable pulse parameters. Journal of Neural Engineering. 2011;8:036016. Abstract
- Peterchev, AV; Rosa, MA; Deng, ZD; Prudic, J; Lisanby, SH. Electroconvulsive therapy stimulus parameters: rethinking dosage. Journal of ECT. 2010;26:159-174. Abstract
- Peterchev, AV; Jalinous, R; Lisanby, SH. A transcranial magnetic stimulator inducing near-rectangular pulses with controllable pulse width (cTMS). IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. 2008;55:257-266. Abstract
- Peterchev, AV; Sanders, SR. Quantization resolution and limit cycling in digitally controlled PWM converters. 2003;18:301-308.