Adjunct Assistant Professor in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Department / Division:
/ Behavioral Medicine
2400 Pratt St
Durham, NC 27710
- PhD, University of Wisconsin at Madison, 2005
Kathryn E. Flynn, PhD, is an adjunct assistant professor in psychiatry and behavioral sciences at the Duke University School of Medicine. She works primarily at the Duke Clinical Research Institute.
Dr. Flynn was trained in sociology and population health sciences at the University of Wisconsin, where she worked with Maureen Smith on the development and fielding of new survey instruments to assess health care access and utilization in the near elderly as part of the Wisconsin Longitudinal Study, a long-term cohort study with over 10,000 participants. In 2005, Dr. Flynn was awarded an R36 dissertation grant from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality to use the Wisconsin Longitudinal Study to examine preferences for health care decision making among older adults. Findings from this research have been published in Social Science and Medicine
and the Journal of General Internal Medicine
. As a postdoctoral fellow at the Duke Clinical Research Institute, Dr. Flynn trained under Kevin Weinfurt, gaining experience in the design and analysis of patient-reported outcomes in clinical trials.
Dr. Flynn's research interests include shared medical decision making; patient-provider relationships, including communication, trust, and technology; quality of medical care; patient-reported outcomes in clinical trials; and quantitative and qualitative methods in behavioral research.
- Flynn, KE; Lin, L; Moe, GW; Howlett, JG; Fine, LJ; Spertus, JA; McConnell, TR; Piña, IL; Weinfurt, KP. Relationships between changes in patient-reported health status and functional capacity in outpatients with heart failure. American Heart Journal. 2012;163:88-94.e3. Abstract
- Flynn, KE; Reese, JB; Jeffery, DD; Abernethy, AP; Lin, L; Shelby, RA; Porter, LS; Dombeck, CB; Weinfurt, KP. Patient experiences with communication about sex during and after treatment for cancer. Psycho-Oncology. 2012;21:594-601. Abstract
- Flynn, KE; Jeffery, DD; Keefe, FJ; Porter, LS; Shelby, RA; Fawzy, MR; Gosselin, TK; Reeve, BB; Weinfurt, KP. Sexual functioning along the cancer continuum: focus group results from the Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System (PROMIS®). Psycho-Oncology. 2011;20:378-386. Abstract
- Flynn, KE; Shelby, RA; Mitchell, SA; Fawzy, MR; Hardy, NC; Husain, AM; Keefe, FJ; Krystal, AD; Porter, LS; Reeve, BB; Weinfurt, KP. Sleep-wake functioning along the cancer continuum: focus group results from the Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System (PROMIS(®)). Psycho-Oncology. 2010;19:1086-1093. Abstract
- Flynn, KE; Lin, L; Ellis, SJ; Russell, SD; Spertus, JA; Whellan, DJ; Piña, IL; Fine, LJ; Schulman, KA; Weinfurt, KP; HF-ACTION Investigators. Outcomes, health policy, and managed care: relationships between patient-reported outcome measures and clinical measures in outpatients with heart failure. American Heart Journal. 2009;158:S64-S71. Abstract
- Flynn, KE; Piña, IL; Whellan, DJ; Lin, L; Blumenthal, JA; Ellis, SJ; Fine, LJ; Howlett, JG; Keteyian, SJ; Kitzman, DW; Kraus, WE; Miller, NH; Schulman, KA; Spertus, JA; O'Connor, CM; Weinfurt, KP; HF-ACTION Investigators. Effects of exercise training on health status in patients with chronic heart failure: HF-ACTION randomized controlled trial. JAMA : the journal of the American Medical Association. 2009;301:1451-1459. Abstract
- Fortune-Greeley, AK; Flynn, KE; Jeffery, DD; Williams, MS; Keefe, FJ; Reeve, BB; Willis, GB; Weinfurt, KP; PROMIS Sexual Function Domain Committee. Using cognitive interviews to evaluate items for measuring sexual functioning across cancer populations: improvements and remaining challenges. Quality of Life Research. 2009;18:1085-1093. Abstract
- Jeffery, DD; Tzeng, JP; Keefe, FJ; Porter, LS; Hahn, EA; Flynn, KE; Reeve, BB; Weinfurt, KP. Initial report of the cancer Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System (PROMIS) sexual function committee: review of sexual function measures and domains used in oncology. Cancer. 2009;115:1142-1153. Abstract
- Flynn, KE; Dombeck, CB; DeWitt, EM; Schulman, KA; Weinfurt, KP. Using item banks to construct measures of patient reported outcomes in clinical trials: investigator perceptions. Clinical Trials. 2008;5:575-586. Abstract
- Flynn, KE; Weinfurt, KP; Seils, DM; Lin, L; Burnett, CB; Schulman, KA; Meropol, NJ. Decisional conflict among patients who accept or decline participation in phase I oncology studies. Journal of Empirical Research on Human Research Ethics. 2008;3:69-77. Abstract
- Garcia, SF; Cella, D; Clauser, SB; Flynn, KE; Lad, T; Lai, JS; Reeve, BB; Smith, AW; Stone, AA; Weinfurt, K. Standardizing patient-reported outcomes assessment in cancer clinical trials: a patient-reported outcomes measurement information system initiative. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2007;25:5106-5112. Abstract