Assistant Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Department / Division:
/ Geriatric Behavioral Health
Durham, NC 27710
919-286-0411, extension 4656
- PhD, Clinical-Medical Psychology, Louisiana State University, 2001
- Clinical Internship and Research Fellowship, Westhaven VA/Yale Medical School (Connecticut), 2000-2001
- Geriatric Neuropsychology and Cognitive Neuroscience, Brown Medical School (Rhode Island), 2001-2003
Neuropsychological assessment of adults and geriatric patients; evaluation of age-related cognitive disorders; forensic and medico-legal cognitive, neurobehavioral evaluation
Dr. Browndyke is a faculty member of Department of Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences, and he holds affiliate faculty appointments with the Duke Brain Imaging & Analysis Center (BIAC), Duke Institute for Brain Science (DIBS) and Center for Cognitive Neuroscience (CCN). He has dual appointment to the Duke University Medical Center and the Durham VA Medical Center, the latter of which is where his clinical work is currently conducted.
Dr. Browndyke's clinical expertise is focused upon; 1.) adult and geriatric populations with an emphasis in the assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of dementia and related disorders and 2.) forensic/medicolegal evaluation of adults and US veteran patient populations.
Dr. Browndyke's research interests include:
1) The use and development of functional and structural neuroimaging biomarkers for dementia diagnosis, monitoring of disease progression, and treatment outcome.
2) Cognitive performance patterns associated with possible pathological cognitive change in the elderly [e.g., mild cognitive impairment (MCI),cognitive impairment – no dementia (CIND), vascular cognitive impairment - no dementia (V-CIND), etc.].
3) The impact of peri-operative and chronic ischemic cerebrovascular damage on cognitive functioning and dementia risk.
- Wee, CY; Yap, PT; Zhang, D; Denny, K; Browndyke, JN; Potter, GG; Welsh-Bohmer, KA; Wang, L; Shen, D. Identification of MCI individuals using structural and functional connectivity networks. Neuroimage. 2012;59:2045-2056. Abstract
- Hayden, KM; Jones, RN; Zimmer, C; Plassman, BL; Browndyke, JN; Pieper, C; Warren, LH; Welsh-Bohmer, KA. Factor structure of the National Alzheimer's Coordinating Centers uniform dataset neuropsychological battery: an evaluation of invariance between and within groups over time. Alzheimer Disease and Associated Disorders. 2011;25:128-137. Abstract
- Wee, CY; Yap, PT; Li, W; Denny, K; Browndyke, JN; Potter, GG; Welsh-Bohmer, KA; Wang, L; Shen, D. Enriched white matter connectivity networks for accurate identification of MCI patients. Neuroimage. 2011;54:1812-1822. Abstract
- Dennis, NA; Browndyke, JN; Stokes, J; Need, A; Burke, JR; Welsh-Bohmer, KA; Cabeza, R. Temporal lobe functional activity and connectivity in young adult APOE varepsilon4 carriers. Alzheimer's and Dementia. 2010;6:303-311. Abstract
- Hill, BD; Barkemeyer, CA; Jones, GN; Santa Maria, MP; Minor, KS; Browndyke, JN. Validation of the coin rotation test: a simple, inexpensive, and convenient screening tool for impaired psychomotor processing speed. Neurologist. 2010;16:249-253. Abstract
- Smith, PJ; Blumenthal, JA; Babyak, MA; Craighead, L; Welsh-Bohmer, KA; Browndyke, JN; Strauman, TA; Sherwood, A. Effects of the dietary approaches to stop hypertension diet, exercise, and caloric restriction on neurocognition in overweight adults with high blood pressure. Hypertension. 2010;55:1331-1338. Abstract
- Smith, PJ; Blumenthal, JA; Hoffman, BM; Cooper, H; Strauman, TA; Welsh-Bohmer, K; Browndyke, JN; Sherwood, A. Aerobic exercise and neurocognitive performance: a meta-analytic review of randomized controlled trials. Psychosomatic Medicine. 2010;72:239-252. Abstract
- Linnertz, C; Saucier, L; Ge, D; Cronin, KD; Burke, JR; Browndyke, JN; Hulette, CM; Welsh-Bohmer, KA; Chiba-Falek, O. Genetic regulation of alpha-synuclein mRNA expression in various human brain tissues. PLoS One. 2009;4:e7480. Abstract
- Browndyke, JN; Paskavitz, J; Sweet, LH; Cohen, RA; Tucker, KA; Welsh-Bohmer, KA; Burke, JR; Schmechel, DE. Neuroanatomical correlates of malingered memory impairment: event-related fMRI of deception on a recognition memory task. Brain Injury. 2008;22:481-489. Abstract
- Sweet, LH; Paskavitz, JF; O'Connor, MJ; Browndyke, JN; Wellen, JW; Cohen, RA. FMRI correlates of the WAIS-III symbol search subtest. Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society. 2005;11:471-476. Abstract
- Browndyke, JN; Tucker, KA; Woods, SP; Beauvals, J; Cohen, RA; Gottschalk, PC; Kosten, TR. Examining the effect of cerebral perfusion abnormality magnitude on cognitive performance in recently abstinent chronic cocaine abusers. Journal of Neuroimaging. 2004;14:162-169. Abstract
- Garrett, KD; Browndyke, JN; Whelihan, W; Paul, RH; DiCarlo, M; Moser, DJ; Cohen, RA; Ott, BR. The neuropsychological profile of vascular cognitive impairment--no dementia: comparisons to patients at risk for cerebrovascular disease and vascular dementia. Archives of Clinical Neuropsychology. 2004;19:745-757. Abstract
- Tucker, KA; Browndyke, JN; Gottschalk, PC; Cofrancesco, AT; Kosten, TR. Gender-specific vulnerability for rCBF abnormalities among cocaine abusers. Neuroreport. 2004;15:797-801. Abstract
- Tucker, KA; Potenza, MN; Beauvais, JE; Browndyke, JN; Gottschalk, PC; Kosten, TR. Perfusion abnormalities and decision making in cocaine dependence. Biological Psychiatry. 2004;56:527-530. Abstract
- Cohen, RA; Browndyke, JN; Moser, DJ; Paul, RH; Gordon, N; Sweet, L. Long-term citicoline (cytidine diphosphate choline) use in patients with vascular dementia: neuroimaging and neuropsychological outcomes. Cerebrovascular Diseases. 2003;16:199-204. Abstract
- Paul, RH; Cohen, RA; Moser, DJ; Browndyke, JN; Davis, K; Gordon, N; Sweet, L; Lawrence, JJ; Zawacki, T. Sensitivity of the dementia rating scale in vascular dementia: comparison between two sets of criteria to define cognitive impairment. Cerebrovascular Diseases. 2003;15:116-120. Abstract
- Sweet, LH; Paul, RH; Cohen, RA; Moser, D; Ott, BR; Gordon, N; Browndyke, JN; Shah, P; Garrett, KD. Neuroimaging correlates of dementia rating scale performance at baseline and 12-month follow-up among patients with vascular dementia. Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry and Neurology. 2003;16:240-244. Abstract
- Browndyke, JN; Albert, AL; Malone, W; Schatz, P; Paul, RH; Cohen, RA; Tucker, KA; Gouvier, WD. Computer-related anxiety: examining the impact of technology-specific affect on the performance of a computerized neuropsychological assessment measure. Applied Neuropsychology. 2002;9:210-218. Abstract
- Browndyke, JN; Moser, DJ; Cohen, RA; O'Brien, DJ; Algina, JJ; Haynes, WG; Staples, ED; Alexander, J; Davies, LK; Bauer, RM. Acute neuropsychological functioning following cardiosurgical interventions associated with the production of intraoperative cerebral microemboli. The Clinical Neuropsychologist. 2002;16:463-471. Abstract