Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Professor of Psychology and Neuroscience
Department / Division:
/ Child & Fam Mental Health & Dev Neuro
2608 Erwin Road, Suite 300
Durham, NC 27705
- PhD, Clinical Psychology, Catholic University of America, 1978
- Psychology, Duke University Medical Center, 1976-1977
Clinical child and adolescent psychology, psychological testing, individual and group psychotherapy, cognitive behavior therapy, adolescent depression, substance abuse
Development and investigation of cognitive-behavioral interventions, alone and in combination with medication,for the treatment of adolescent major depression and substance abuse. Treatment outcome in large multi-site trials and in community care settings. Translation of efficacious treatments into community settings, such as brief motivational interviewing and CBT for teen and young adult substance abuse. We have written and tested the manuals for CBT in the Treatment for Adolescents with Depression Study (TADS)and contributed to those for the Treatment of Adolescent Suicide Attempters Study (TASA).
Cognitive and behavioral processes contributing to adolescent depression, including attributions, self-perceptions, and coping responses.
- Curry, JF; Wells, KC; Lochman, JE; Craighead, WE; Nagy, PD. Cognitive-behavioral intervention for depressed, substance-abusing adolescents: development and pilot testing. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. 2003;42:656-665. Abstract
- Curry, JF. Specific psychotherapies for childhood and adolescent depression. Biological Psychiatry. 2001;49:1091-1100. Abstract
- March, JS; Curry, JF. Predicting the outcome of treatment. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology. 1998;26:39-51. Abstract
- Curry, JF; Craighead, WE. Attributional style in clinically depressed and conduct disordered adolescents. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology. 1990;58:109-115. Abstract